Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reflections of 2011

January 1, 2012....The first day of a brand new year & a fitting time to reflect on last year.  Last year, I traveled to 110 cities & logged an amazing 15,000 miles of driving time.  I lived in a 24' travel trailer for 187 days, little over 6 months.  Of those 187 days, 157 were spent in a different town, either for one day or two days, never longer.  I witnessed 2 tornados and lost 2 friends & an uncle to cancer. I made several good friends online & had the opportunity to meet 7 of them in my travels.

Ok, I know...why all the fascination with numbers?  Let's start with the cities...  110 cities meant that I had to type 110 route slips, one for each of the different cities, so our drivers had directions to get to the next town...I also had to make 110 recordings for an annoucement that we made prior to our showing in that town...157 days meant that I had to place online ticket information a total of 314 times, for the two shows we had daily. The six months that I lived in the travel trailer meant I slept on a foam cushion for more than 1/2 the year & let me tell you something, you haven't lived until you've done that.  It may seem like I'm complaining but I enjoyed everything associated with my job. The thrill of being in a new town & meeting new people has always been a great perk.  I have always enjoyed traveling.

The two tornados have a real significance because in the 20 years I traveled, I never saw a single one.  To witness not one, but two, within the span of a single month, was something I never thought I would experience in my lifetime. 

The two friends & uncle I lost to cancer are the saddest occurences that could have happened this year.  The two friends I lost earlier this year & my uncle passed away just 5 days before Christmas.  It's always tough to lose a loved one but losing them before the holidays always seems tougher. This year marks my tenth anniversary as a cancer survivor so when I lose someone I know to cancer it's always a stark reminder that every day I need to live to the fullest because you never know what tommorow holds. I pray that a cure will be found.

Finally, the friends I made online have become dear to me & the ones I have met is a blessing.  They have been there for me when I needed advice or just a shoulder to cry on.  They kept me informed when the weather was severe & I didn't have any way to tell if I was in danger.  To all of you, thank you for everything!!

Happy New Year to all & God bless everyone in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment